Search This Blog

Saturday, July 31, 2010

A near miss

How awesome is this?  This is a new intersection being tried out in Portland in high bike traffic areas.

I could have used something like that on Thursday morning.  I missed getting slammed into by a car by about a foot, after all the brake screeching was said and done, both mine, and of the car driver.

In short...I was moving along, in the bike lane, on the right side of the road, exactly where I was supposed to be.  And a driver, turning left, into an entrance to my right, waited for a car to pass, and didn't look up at all, and accelerated her car, and didn't look up again and see me.  Luckily I can yell/scream pretty loud.  I think that is what saved me from getting hit dead on.

To avoid it, I pulled on my brakes so hard that I snapped the cable on the front one.  I'm going to get that replaced this weekend.

I must say...this is a good reminder to myself to make sure I make eye contact with drivers who are turning AT ALL TIMES.  I normally do that.  I didn't this time.  And man o man, did it frickin' shake me up.

It's bizarre...a couple people joked with me about it afterward.  I can't find anything funny about it.  I'm going to use it as a reminder of my need for safety first.  That may sound corny, but it's true.  I think too that if I'd been in a car, and we had had a fender bender, it would be no big deal, an inconvenience perhaps.  Not when it's car against bike.

On a much lighter note...that pic is from a great page on The Huffington Post about bike culture.  Check it out here.

                                                              Bogota. Colombia

No comments:

Post a Comment