Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Bus musings 2

So I had a doctor's appointment this morning, which left me not able to take the express bus to work, the one that is so easy, a straight shot, etc...

I had to take the 15, two miles out of the way, to downtown SD, to then grab the 20 express.  So, I had so many different things happen that could easily have bummed me out....but I kept laughing inside at how funny it all was. It felt like a cross section of daily life was going on around me.  An adventure instead of an inconvenience....

So the first bus either came ten minutes early, or ten minutes late...still not sure about that.
I scrambled to get together my bananas I was eating at the bus stop, along with the new bottle of water and coffee I had just bought at the 7-11 on the corner, to enjoy while waiting for the bus...hahaha....

I said to the driver..."oh, you're early..." Reply was "grunt".

Bus was packed...as I find a place to stand, after about ten seconds, I hear a thud.  My banana had fallen on the floor of the bus, and all these eyes looked at it.  This one guy glared at me like it was something illegal or illicit.  Sheeze....Then as a seat opened up I went to walk to it, and realized that the bottle of water in my backpack had broken open.  The same guy, the banana guy, said, with a total attitude, "Hey dude, you're dripping all over the place."  Sheeze again....

Then downtown, waiting for the next bus it kept getting better:

Two couples,  obvious tourists...got on a bus, from the back!  The driver kept trying to close the door on them and they fought it back....It was priceless to see.  They obviously were confused about how to board a city bus, but a crowd of like 10 or 15 people all just stood there, watching agape at what they were doing.
That they were confused wasn't what was funny.  Several people were trying to tell them to enter via the front door of the bus.  What was funny was their insistence in entering via the wrong door!

Then, that bus left....and suddenly a car from a parking lot across the street turned the wrong way down the one-way street!  A cacophony of honk from the cars coming in the other, correct, direction, didn't dissuade the driver.  He just stopped.  For a full minute at least. All of us on the corner stood there again, dismayed at what was happening.  The driver eventually turned into a side streeet.

So then the guy standing next to me starts to tell me about how he did the same thing once when he was 18, in LA, on a freeway, at 2 am, totally shitfaced (his word).

As I'm hearing that anecdote, some guy walks by on a cell, and all I hear him say is, "Well, then why the fuck did you call me if I gotta leave a message now?" 

A little after...the bus came, and I went to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment