Search This Blog

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Google maps for bikes

I've been using Google Maps so much since I started this car-free adventure.  I've gotten pretty good at it, using all of the features in it, the various options, etc.  In case you don't know, for directions, it offers options for car, public transit, and walking.  That has helped tremendously figure out how to get from point A to point B for me without a car.

Now, it's gotten even better.  They just introduced, in beta, an option with bike routes!

Go to the main page, and then click, GET DIRECTIONS.  After you enter your point A and B, you'll see the default option of BY CAR.  Click and that for public transit, walking, or bicycle.

I'm not going to walk you through all the different things you can do with it.  Play with it.  Even if you're doing the directions for going by car, you can play with it.  You can choose, under options, AVOID HIGHWAYS, among other options.

Once you have the map up that they give you, one of the coolest features is the drag feature.  You just pull the line they tell you to go on to a different street, and the whole map resets itself according to your new route you've chosen.

Play with it.  I find it's pretty fun to play with and come up with new ways to go somewhere that I hadn't thought of, new things to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment