Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Riding on the bus, riding on the bus.....

I'm feeling so good today about this car free experience.  A big part of that was redisovering bus riding, how easy it is....and actually, how convenient too.  I had an idea in my mind that San Diego was so behind the loop on this.  I know it is behind other awesome public transit cities like SF and DC, but for my needs now....I've got a bunch of options.

Started off this morning....I needed to go into Hillcrest from my house, BEFORE going to work.  I could have ridden my bike....but I'm not up for adding another 5 miles (to and fro) to an already 9 mile commute.  Soooooo....thanks to Google Map's awesome feature of giving the option of "public transit" in their directions, it was a piece of cake.  Need to start carrying my latest book I'm reading in my back pack for just such an occasion...but this morning was fine just staring out the window watching the sky start to show signs of daybreak.  VERY frickin' cool.

So speaking of Google Map's, there are two points I want to make: one...there are so many features on there that are totally awesome, once you start playing around with it.  Here's a great link to an article on a bike blog about some features for finding bike routes on there, using the "drag route" feature.   And two:  I checked in later in the day before heading home....I wanted to play with the bus routes from home to work and back, so I don't have to feel 100% dependent on a bike, when I'm not feeling great, or we get the inevitable winter rain...And.....I found a bus route, the 960 that goes very close to my house, and practically lets me off a block from my office!!!  What a relief!  I hadn't been keying in "commute rush hours" when I looked before....so I would only get a very long, very circuitous route....this one will work perfectly!  I am very very very glad to hear that.  I am going to test it out one day next week!


Ending on this....one of the all-time best Homer Simpson quotes:
I saw this movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode! I think it was called “The Bus That Couldn’t Slow Down.”

No comments:

Post a Comment