Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

¡Ay, qué frío!




I don't care what accuweather.com said this morning, it was not 56 degrees when I headed out the door at 6:30 to leave for work.  I could see my breath it was so chilly for the first 15-20 mins....brrrrr.
Then...it got soooooo beautiful.....wow.  The sun coming up, the crisp air.
And coming home was just as great...the chill in the air, and seeing the sliver of the moon just risen....another wow for that.  No pics today, but so beautiful that I had to mention it.

I think of so many things to blog about while I ride, then I more than not don't write them down and they're gone from my head....This post is about more just writing something than having a specific purpose.

One of the things that I think is so compelling, and that draws me to ride more and more is what it does to my mind.  It's an experience that doesn't happen while driving a car, for me at least...it's unique to my bike riding experience.  It's usually one of two experiences: the first is really like a type of meditation.  I become very "present"...when I'm not, the consequences can be pretty dangerous...and life-threatening actually.  And that being present, really blots out a lot of the continuous chatter that goes on in my mind,  or for that matter...all our minds. 

And the second scenario is the complete opposite....instead of sort of a clear-mind feeling...I completely focus, obsess over something, an issue, a problem, etc.   Usually I get to a very succint, definative answer, resolution as it were.  The only problem is....after the buzz of the ride wears off...the chatter has started back, and that resolution is shaded with doubts.

Who else goes thru this?

Here's a great 5 minute video of Pema Chödrön, who I like so much, talking about "unconditional friendship with oneself."  Take the time to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment